KILNACROTT ABBEY: Inside the Holy Trinity Abbey......
The #Norbertines returned to #Ireland in 1924 at the invitation of the late Most Rev. Dr. Finnegan, Bishop of #Kilmore. They had been in Ireland from the 12th to the 16th century and one of their houses was at Lough Oughter, near #Cavan.
Subsequently, their Irish headquarters became #Kilnacrott#Abbey which unfortunately became most famous for one, if not THE most prolific Child Abusers the Catholic Church has ever seen.
The Abbey was sold in 2012 to 'Direction for our Times' who allowed the Abbott & remaining Fathers to live in the Abbey for a further three years.
The last #Mass celebrated here was on Easter Sunday 2015 & the Fathers vacated the premises shortly after.
The Abbey and its contents were sold for €610,000, a fraction of the original €3million asking price.
The proceeds were to be given to the victims of the notorious Smyth, who is still buried on the grounds.